Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Brain Dump - My Lotus Domino/Notes Environment

It's been awhile since I've posted anything about our Lotus Domino/Notes environment. I thought I would just ramble about things that are on my mind concerning my Lotus Domino/Notes environment... basically a brain dump that I can refer back to later...

(begin brain dump)

We have a very small Domino/Notes installation. We've got one primary Domino server (7.0.3) and a secondary Domino server (7.0.3), which services our Good Mobile Messaging server. We've got about 110 Notes users (6.5.4 and 7.0.3 clients.) Some of the Notes clients are using Citrix to access Notes, via a published app, as most of these people share a desktop or thin client. Most, if not all, desktop/laptop users are using the 7.0.3 client. I've got about 20 clients that are 7.0.3 Domino Web Access clients, which was needed to be able to sync address books to their phones (or so I was told.)

I am planning on upgrading our Domino servers to 8.0.x in the near future (mid to late 2nd quarter), but I have a lot of "stuff" that I would like to do, either before, or after, the upgrade. This "stuff" is as follows, in no particular order:

1. Deploy DWA, or iNotes, so that all clients could access their email, calendar, to do's, etc. via a browser. My thought here is to reduce, or eliminate, the need to install a Notes client on Citrix. I'm not sure if this is the way to do it, but until someone gives me a better idea, that's what I'm looking for.

2. I desperately need to get ID Recovery working in the 7.0.3 or 8.0.x environment, and keep it working. This is a major issue for me, as I've deployed some single sign on clients, but have had some (major) issues with it. Right now, I need to disable the SSO on the installs I have, but haven't gotten around to it yet. I'll explain the issues in another post a little later, but the biggest problem I have is that when the network password changes, the Notes SSO doesn't always see that it has changed, or somehow already knows what the new network password is, and doesn't ask the user to enter the new password.

3. This kind of goes with #1 above, but I need to get everyone on the latest client. With the Citrix clients, this isn't the easiest thing to do, as I just can't push an upgrade of the client to the user (not that I know how to push the upgrade down to the user anyway.)

4. I need to get Quickr installed, at least in a test environment, so that I can demo it to the masses (well... to the powers that be, anyway.) I know that what I've seen of Quickr could help the company organize and collaborate better. I just need to get it installed and running. I've got a lot of questions concerning the use of Quickr internally, as well as externally. The problem I have right now, is that there seems to be two versions of Quickr, the Domino services and the Websphere services, if I understand things correctly. Some Quickr features are only available in one version or the other. We don't use the Websphere Portal, so the Websphere version won't be the one we will be implementing. I'd like to see a side by side comparison of the features of each version, so I know what I'm getting with the Domino services, and what I will be missing out on with the Websphere version.

5. I need Admin training... plain and simple. I haven't had Admin training since R5 or maybe R6. I'm trying to approval to go to a Domino 8 Admin Bootcamp in April, but with the economy the way it is, and the company finances not being the best, I'm doubtful that I can attend right now. In the meantime, I need to find some cheaper alternatives to attending a training session. I know, I know... I could always read the Admin guide. The problem with that is I'm more of a visual type person. I need to see it shown to me, not just read it in a book.

6. This goes along with #1 as well... I would like the people who travel, and our remote users to be able to access Notes through the web, instead of using the Citrix web client that they are using now. It would quicker and easier for them to access their emails going to a website, instead of going to our Citrix web access site, and opening up a Notes client through Citrix. Most of these people get their emails on their Windows mobile phone right now, but there are times when they need to get in to do some things that they can't do, or is more difficult to do, with their phones.

As you can see, I have a lot of "stuff", and there's plenty more that I haven't put into this post. Before this year is up, I would like to see 4 or 5 on this list go away, and new items take their place (in a good way.)

(end brain dump)

I feel a little better now.

No comments: