Friday, March 6, 2009

Messing with the Google Feed Reader

So, I've been messing around with various feed readers for Firefox for awhile now, but never really settling one particular reader. Besides the fact that I have different feeds in the two readers I've been playing with, and not being all that organized to begin with, I've decided to try something a little different.

I've exported my feeds from the readers I've got, and imported them into my Google Reader. Since I'm in Gmail all day long anyway, I figured it would be just as easy to use the Google Reader as it would be to use some extension to the Firefox browser. It also gave me an opportunity to clean up the feeds that I've got, and tag them into various "folders". I still have a lot of duplicates, and it will take some time to weed them out, but so far, so good.

I've got nearly 300 feeds that I follow... well, not necessarily follow closely, but look at from time to time. I've got feeds for Beer and homebrewing, Lotus Domino/Notes (and a lot of the various bloggers I follow), IBM, various news feeds, football (news, fantasy football, my Cleveland Browns), web development, etc. I know it sounds like a lot of feeds, but I'm kind of an information junkie. I may not read everything I've added, but I do read the headlines for most of them. If I find something interesting, I'll dive into it a little deeper.

So far, I like the Google Reader. I've gone into the "Browse for stuff" and found a ton more feeds to add. There's a lot of interesting stuff out there that I wasn't aware of. Some of which I have added, and some that will need to reviewed a little closer before I add them.

If you are looking for a feed reader, I would suggest checking into the Google Reader, especially if you already have a Gmail account (if not, you'll need to register with Google to keep your feeds.)

No comments: