Tuesday, May 27, 2008

What a long weekend...

Well, I did end up getting sick, but not bad enough to not get things done around the house...

First things first, though... golf on Wednesday night... Shot a 41. Didn't hit my goal, but all in all it was a good night. It was really windy and cool last Wednesday, not a great night for golf. Started off bogey, bogey, bogey, and then settled down. I parred the next two holes, and then came up just short (about 6 inches) of getting a hole in one on the #6 Par 3 hole. I hit a great shot... a little draw into a left to right wind and the ball hit the upslope of the two tiered green and stopped just short of the hole. Finished par, double bogey, par. I won two skins and the closest to the pin contest (on #6) and won about $26 in total. It was a good night.

I woke up Thursday morning not feeling much better. Fortunately, I didn't have to go to work. I did have a lot on my schedule at home, but didn't feel much like doing anything. I sat around until about 9:30 a.m. and then started getting things around. I needed to empty the garage, so I could begin my painting chores. It's amazing the amount of crap one keeps for one reason or another, to later realize that there was no reason to keep it in the first place. Once the garage was empty, I swept it out, and then began priming the shelves.

A couple of years ago, my father in law, God bless him, built me some shelves in my garage when we were out of town visiting my folks. We had discussed it, and he was going to help me put them up, but being the kind of person he is, he didn't want to wait for me. So, he did it himself. They looked nice and were definitely what was needed, for storage purposes.

Once the shelves were primed, I took a time out to get some lunch and visit with my daughter, who just came home from kindergarten. After lunch, I got back at the painting. Fortunately for me, I was painting the walls and the ceiling all the same color, so there was no being careful with the paint near the ceiling. I absolutely hate painting, mostly because of the trim work. Since there wasn't any to be done in the garage, I didn't mind painting all that much.

I finally finished up painting the whole garage, the walls and the ceiling, but left the door and window trim for my wife, who said she would do that. I was done about 4:30 p.m. or so, and had to get everything cleaned up, including myself, as my son had a baseball game that night.

My son had a great game Thursday night. He played left center and third base. Caught a pop fly, while playing third, and could have gotten a double play if he wasn't so confused about where to throw the ball. There was a runner at first and second at the time, and both runners took off when the ball was hit. Caleb caught the ball and everyone, from the spectators to the coaches were hollering at him to throw the ball to second base, or first base, or anywhere. He just held onto the ball. Poor kid. He was so excited about catching the ball that he didn't know what to do next and with all the excitement, he didn't know who to listen to or where to throw the ball. He had three really good hits, one of which was a double, had an RBI or two, and scored a run. His team lost by one run, but my son had a good game and was really proud of himself that he caught that pop fly (as was his dad!)

Friday morning came, again, I didn't have to go into work, but still wasn't feeling good. With the garage work still needing to be done, I still wasn't up to getting an early start on things. Again, I sat around until about 9:30 a.m. again before getting started. Again, I swept the floor, as on today's agenda, was painting the floor of the garage. As I mentioned in a earlier post, our garage floor, when wet, becomes as slick as ice, and the kids have slipped and fallen in the past. It was time to rectify this dangerous situation once and for all.

After sweeping the floor, I opened the Quikrete Bond Lok I got at our local Lowes store and began the process of cleaning the garage floor. I wasn't sure what to expect, as I had never used this stuff before. I had to wet the floor first, and then put this Bond Lok stuff down and it bubbles/foams up on the wet surface. Using a stiff bristled broom, you scrub the floor with the broom and then rinse it away. It took me about an hour or so to clean the floor, and then I had to wait for the floor to dry. Unfortunately, the floor didn't dry before the day was over, so I had to wait until Saturday to paint the floor.

On Saturday, I swept the floor once more, and then got out the Quikrete One Step Epoxy paint and began the process of painting the floor. I added, what looked to be fine white sand or silica, to the paint, to add to the non-skid surface of the floor. After about an hour and a half, the floor was completely painted and looked great. Now we had to wait about 24 hours before we could walk on it and begin the process of putting everything back into the garage.

And that's what we did on Sunday. The floor was dry and looked good, but it could have used a second coat of paint, but I didn't feel like waiting any longer to get things back into the garage. It looked like we were having a yard sale, with all the stuff sitting outside the garage, and it was supposed to rain Sunday night. Everything is back in it's places now, and things are getting back to normal. Tonight, we can finally park our cars in the garage for the first time since last Wednesday.

All in all, it was a good, productive weekend. I'm still not 100% healthy, but getting there. I suppose if I hadn't worked all weekend, I would feel better, but I wouldn't have felt good about not getting the garage finished.

No comments: